Sunday, April 1, 2012

Our own little animal rescuer

Jack’s fascination/obsession with lizards continues.  He looks for them often, hoping to catch one.  Lately he’s been filling the edges between the mulch and grass with water in order to “give the lizards water”.  After filling one today, he noticed a caterpillar “drinking” the water.  As he took a closer look, I think he noticed what I did – that the caterpillar was NOT drinking.  In fact, it was not moving.  I tried to brace myself for the conversation that would come – how the water he’d put out had inadvertently drowned this poor little caterpillar.  “Mommy…do caterpillars like water?” he asked.  “No,” I told him.  “Maybe you should take him out,” I suggested.  So he did.  And then placed him on the wall.  And waited for him to move.  “Oh buddy,” I said, “I don’t think the caterpillar is going to move,” I told him. “Yes he is Mommy! Look!!”

Sure enough…that caterpillar made it through.  And so – instead of having a conversation I was dreading, I got to rave about what a great animal rescuer he is; if it weren’t for him saving the caterpillar, it would have drowned!  Oh, was he excited!  “Yeah…I’m just like Diego, Mommy!”

IMAG0734      IMAG0735

No comments:

Post a Comment